What is Carers Direct?
Carers Direct is a national information, advice and support service for carers in England. Available online at www.nhs.uk/carersdirect and as a free, confidential helpline seven days a week on 0808 802 0202, it provides accurate, relevant information for carers and those who support them.
- All information on Carers Direct is Information Standard accredited and was developed in conjunction with carers and national carers organisations.
- Since its launch in Jan 2009, Carers Direct has grown to become a substantial online resource for carers and those who support them. It now has more than 1,000 articles, 12 videos and web tools available on the site.
- Visitors to the website are regularly surveyed to ensure Carers Direct offers the information they need.
- Carers Direct provides online blogs and forums for carers. It also has an active Facebook fan page with over 7,000 carers available at www.facebook.com/carersdirect, and a twitter account with nearly 3,000 followers at www.twitter.com/carersdirect
- All calls to Carers Direct are free and confidential.
- Over 20 specially trained advisors are available to give information and advice to carers, allowing them to take decisions about their personal support needs and the needs of the person they are looking after.
- The Carers Direct helpline advisors can put callers in touch with specialist national or local sources of help, including social care departments, respite centres, specialist charities and other carers support groups.
- Enquires can be made by phone, email, post, Type talk, Text Relay and language line*.
*Additional information on helpline contact methods
Telephone enquiries -The Carers Direct helpline number is 0808 802 0202. Lines are open seven days a week, from 8am to 9pm on weekdays and 11am until 4pm on weekends and Bank Holidays. All calls, including mobiles, are free.
Language Line – If you need help in a language other than English, you can request a call back in the language of your choice. We use Language Line, a telephone translation and interpreting service that allows a conversation in one of more than 170 languages.
Email and online enquiries – If you have a question about caring you can ask it using the Carers Direct online enquiry form at https://www.carersdirectenquiry.nhs.uk . A Carers Direct advisor will normally respond within 24 hours of you submitting your enquiry. Carers Direct web address is www.nhs.uk/carersdirect
Text Relay and Typetalk – Deaf, deafblind, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people who use a textphone can contact Carers Direct by textphone/minicom, on 0800 988 8657.
Postal enquiries -You can send a written enquiry by post to Carers Direct, PO Box 4338, Manchester M61 0BY.