At Astro Brain Tumour Fund, we are committed to protecting your privacy
This statement is made in the light of the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) in order to alert users to Astro Brain Tumour Fund’s data processing practices which will govern the processing of your data.
What information do we collect and why?
We will obtain personal information from you when you enquire about our activities, register with us, fundraise for us, make a donation to us or otherwise provide us with personal information. We may also receive information about you from third parties, for example from one of your family members, friends or colleagues, who wants to tell you about the Charity or its website.
The types of information collected might include names, date of birth, e-mail address, postal address, telephone number, mobile phone number, birthdays and anniversaries . We may also ask you about your experience of brain tumours, but if we do, we will seek your specific consent, and give you specific additional information about our proposed use of that data at the point where we ask for it.
If we ask you to provide us with sensitive personal data, such as your health, we will seek your specific consent, and give you specific additional information about our proposed use of that data at the point where we ask for it.
We collect this information in connection with specific activities, such as newsletter requests, donations and if we help you to write a story about your experiences. The information is either needed to fulfil your request or to enable us to provide you with more personalised support.
What do we do with the information?
We will use the information you provide to:
- fulfil your requests – such as applications to participate in campaigns and provision of information
- donations, or other payments and verify financial transactions
- provide a personalised service to you when you visit our website – this could include customising the content and/or layout of our pages for individual users
- record any contact we have with you
- prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our websites and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf
- carry out research on the demographics, interests and behaviour of our users and supporters to help us gain a better understanding of them and to enable us to improve our services and support. We never sell or share your information to other organisations to use for their own purposes
- communicate with our supporters
- if you have agreed to it, provide you with information that we think may be of interest to you.
Sharing your information
We will only share your information if:
- We are legally required to do so, e.g. by a law enforcement agency legitimately exercising a power or if compelled by an order of the Court.
- We believe it is necessary to protect or defend our rights, property or the personal safety of our people or visitors to our premises or websites.
Storing your information
We take appropriate measures to ensure that the information disclosed to us is kept secure, accurate and up to date and kept only for so long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal data under our control. For example, only authorised personnel are allowed to access user information. While we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur while it is under our control, we use our best efforts to try to prevent this.
Retaining your information – data retention policy
Within this five-year period of marketing contact, if you take proactive action to support the charity, the period of contact will be automatically renewed. Pro-active action is defined as making a donation (including a donation in kind) or undertaking an act of fundraising.
You will be notified when your period of marketing contact is coming to an end. You will be given the option to opt in to a further period of marketing contact.
We will continue to retain data for a period no longer than 10 years beyond the expiry of the final period of marketing contact save as may be required by law.
By providing us with your personal data, you consent to the collection and use of any information you provide in accordance with the above purposes and this privacy statement. You have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in your information corrected.
If you want to exercise these rights or update your personal details, please contact us at [email protected], telephone 01485 525279
We reserve the right to amend this privacy statement. If we do so, we will post notice of the change on the news page of our website and you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.